firefly-dev

[Firefly-dev] firefly - a bit from gimpy

From: firefly-dev
Subject: [Firefly-dev] firefly - a bit from gimpy
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:55:32 -0800 (PST)

a few things. first, i thought john wanted it to be in
.xml so it can be used by any other software. i can
understand if there is a bit more overhead though. but
are we just gonna have one big hash of all the data in
(my/postgre)sql? heres a possibility that came to me
when waiting for the eye doctor today.

store all patrons and staff in one directory
with their lastname as the name of the .xml file

/people or whatever can be the directory
so it'd be /people/lastname.xml to search for and play
with

then have /books /films /newspapers /etc /etc /etc

newspapers and the like can have abbrev. titles and a
dash then the date or something like that
/newspapers/LC-4-1-03 and the like or a new folder
created for each day with all newspapers in there for
that day, but that may be a bit too far fetched

have a unique id_number added to the patron.xml so it
can be inserted into the book.xml when that book gets
checked out. the book_id can be placed in the users
xml and have a tally tag that says how many the patron
currently has out. and a checked in/out tag in the
book.xml so searches for the book tell whether its
currently there or not

for the fear of several people modifying a xml doc at
the same time, it can always flock() that xml file
when ever it is opened to be edited, and will only
write to a certain tagged area. no data will be lost
or corrupted.

if is stays xml from the core, i would think many
programs can work with it. but i know there are
modules that allow for, say perl, to work extremely
well with sql databases. and im not sure which would
be easier for plugins to work for (but im betting on
sql).

the whole xml backbone is only an idea. if the
overhead will be more than the sql-ness or anything
else we come up with or can find something easier to
work with, then lets go with that instead. i know
nothing about which is faster, sql or something else,
so i need to find out. but perl has xml parsers and
perl has always been fast and efficient with strings
and text files. again its only an idea. but i would
like to have some definates soon, so i can start
learning the language of choice and find out how i can
manipulate what i can with perl (no use letting my
perl knowledge go to waste now).