fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] bug in pst-3dplot leads to dodgy DVI files

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] bug in pst-3dplot leads to dodgy DVI files
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:08:52 +0100

hello everybody,

i noticed earlier today that \rput(){} from the pstricks package always places
text at (0,0) in FHSST when viewing the DVI, but the PS is fine. \rput is not
actually broken... and in fact \rput works perfectly fine in most tests, for
example:

  \documentclass[10pt, a4paper]{report}
  \usepackage{pstricks}
  %\usepackage{pst-3dplot}
  \begin{document}
  \begin{pspicture}(-1,-1)(1,1)
    \rput(-0.5,-0.5){$(-\frac 12,-\frac 12)$}
    \rput(0.5,0.5){$(-\frac 12,-\frac 12)$}
  \end{pspicture}
  \end{document}

which shows that under xdvi the \rput is working.

however, if the pst-3dplot (or pst-circ) package is loaded; the DVIs are faulty.
there is no need to even use the pst-3dplot package, it just needs to be loaded.

i have emailed the author of pst-3dplot, but he is convinced that this is a bug
in xdvi. i am not so sure... he seems convinced that xdvi can never display any
of pstricks effects... i know otherwise. as far as i am concerned, loading his
package breaks the DVI files which worked previously. so it looks like we are
stuck with this bug.

rors; i know you use pst-3dplot for chemistry; how essential is it? as it breaks
the DVI output, it would be nice if we could find an alternative which didn't.
but it is low priority... everything works in PS and i'm sure we could live with
the current situation, although it is a real pain in the arse.

anyone who is not building the entire book, and would like to make proper DVIs
can just locally comment out the lines

 \usepackage{pst-3dplot}
 \usepackage{pst-circ}

in defines.tex... just don't dare commit it to CVS!!

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts