fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Re: [Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: Free High School Science

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Re: [Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: Free High School Science Texts
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:19:49 +0100

Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I poked around in the CVS a bit.  I'm pretty confused about the
> structure of the CVS.

the folders "chemistry maths physics" are the only bits you should care
about. everythign else is pretty much internal. "other" has just random
syllabus lists and shuttleworth info we may need to look at. (this
folder also holds the GFDL license)

> I guess that algebra.tex is abandoned?

no, its just not on the syllabus; so its of minor importance. also i
lost heart when i failed to find football examples for the group thoery
:-/. i wanted that to be the theme: and i had the silliest person in the
world understanding some basic set theory after one sitting... so i
don't want to give up all hope! :-) i have a print out of it i made
months ago with lots of red on it... maybe i should write it up and
commit those changes.

> Is hsalgebra.tex going to include multiple years of material?

whats there at the moment is pretty much all of the material; minus the
figures. the formatting is a bit screwed regards the titles. i think it
is maybe 2 levels of grades? (mark?) the SA syllabus should be in the
CVS somewhere. there are some editors attacking that section soon.

> I'm looking at "TeX for the Impatient" right now.  For my project
> (La)TeX with a text editor just is not an option.  We'll see how
> things work out.

thats ok... if you want to give us anything, we can convert it.
converting badly made LaTeX from LyX is by far a much easier task than
transcribing from .doc files. the LaTeX we use should be simple maths
stuff... i don't think we even use the amsmaths adons or anything. LaTeX
is much easier than you'd think, really :-) get Emacs with the AucTeX
adon... it'll make life a hell of a lot easier for you!

> I have one more question.  What TeX environment do you guys use.  I'm
> stuck with Windows at work and no Internet connection at home (where I
>
> run GNU/Linux).  I made a dvi from "hsalgebra.tex" with the Cygwin
> version of LaTeX and it was completely broken.

the files cannot be built individually (unless you use Emacs, thats why
the comments are at the bottom of each file.. to aid that proccess). if
you have make installed, you should be able to build the whole book by
typing

  `make`

at the top level, or you can also build each section (e.g.
maths/physics) individually... but not chapters. i think we are all
using tetex, but the implementation should not matter, as long as it is
LaTeX2e compatible. you may need to read README and SETUP to get an idea
of extra LaTeX adons you may need. i think mark has commited pretty much
everythign you need into the tree for pstricks to work though, so maybe
all that info is redundant now.

cheers,
Sam
--