fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Re: [Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: Free High School Science

From: Peter Hutnick
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Re: [Fhsst-admin-priv] Re: Free High School Science Texts
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:57:34 -0700

Sam Halliday wrote:

hi peter!

this sounds like a very good arrangement for the lot of us!

Peter Hutnick wrote:
My two big questions are
1. Specifically what content do you need?

at the moment physics is in a near-completion state; proof reading and
touching up is the most important. maths is in early stages... mark or
spence will know what needs done exactly, so one or the other will
reply.

I poked around in the CVS a bit. I'm pretty confused about the structure of the CVS. I guess that algebra.tex is abandoned? Is hsalgebra.tex going to include multiple years of material?

I am being held back somewhat by the fact that Savannah is behaving erratically today.

we use purely LaTeX with any Figures being done in EPS (or a LaTeX adon,
like pstricks). we have a lot of BMP/other type contributions which we
have to convert, but we would rather keep everythign consistent by using
the same tools for figures across the book.

i read that you use LyX to make your LaTeX... be warned that LyX,
although it produces LaTeX output, it uses an awful lot of "internal"
stuff in its processing... and for example, if you were to import one of
our files, change a single line, and export to LaTeX again... the actual
.tex file may be changed quite considerably!
I'm looking at "TeX for the Impatient" right now. For my project (La)TeX with a text editor just is not an option. We'll see how things work out.

MathML is maybe a bit too optimistic, but in a few years when browsers
support it and the fonts are free... it'll be revolutionary for maths!
Have you seen http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/? Worked okay with http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/csmall2.xml which is the W3C's "more complex" MathML test page.

I have one more question. What TeX environment do you guys use. I'm stuck with Windows at work and no Internet connection at home (where I run GNU/Linux). I made a dvi from "hsalgebra.tex" with the Cygwin version of LaTeX and it was completely broken.

-Peter