fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:44:09 -0500

I recall this coming up before, but not the final resolution. Might
want to try searching the list archives in case I'm not misremembering
:)

Have you confirmed that this works with Capistrano and its tty option?
Alternately, try doing "ssh my_rhel_server -t sudo some_command",
which AFAIK would emulate the same behavior (forcing a pseudo-tty).

I'm not positive that the tty-related option will actually work --
given that the sudoers manpage says "a real tty" and I'm not sure what
exactly they mean by that -- but a quick Google seems to imply that it
will. In that case, yes, we can likely add an argument/option/whatever
to enable that aspect of the protocol when desired.

About to embark on a potential rewrite of our SSH code to use a
different library, but once that settles out either way, it should be
pretty simple to put such a change in place.

Best,
Jeff