fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Re: module -> package

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Re: module -> package
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:22:49 -0500

Hi Christian, just read over the new code branch.

The overall splitting up looks pretty good, although core.py's still a
little bigger than I'd like. Otherwise, on an organizational level
it's far better than it used to be, so great job :D Two complaints and
a question:

First, I don't really like many of the names of files/modules/etc.
They don't feel Pythonic and you know how much of a stickler I am
about names ;) There were also some whitespace issues. Both of these
things are pretty easily addressed and I hope to offer suggested
changes soon :)

Secondly, I'm getting worried at the amount of decorator usage: as
much as I love decorators, when just about every single object has one
or two tacked on, something's gone wrong. Ditto on
functions-within-functions. Due to these things, Fabric doesn't really
feel as Pythonic anymore -- instead it feels hard to follow and
unnecessarily complex.

This is not something so easily fixed, of course, it has to do with
wide-reaching design decisions and ways we keep track of all the
moving parts; I'm just mentioning it for now. When I have time to get
my hands dirty I'm hoping to re-wrap my head around the code, and
ideally rip things apart and rearrange in a clearer, simpler fashion,
if that's possible.

Finally: what's up with the "core plugin *" nomenclature? I don't see
how those things are really plugins per se, nor is it immediately
apparent to me (tho it's been a long day ;)) how those files set up an
actual "plugins" framework, if that's what is going on.

Despite all that -- thanks again for doing this, we need to get away
from the huge file-o-death no matter what and this does the job :)

Thanks,
Jeff