Re: bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 12:38:04 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

libc and libm are dynamically linked and are essential for Emacs
Lisp.

That's a strawman I didn't expect to see from you.

It's not a strawman at all. It's close to what libgmp is for the bignum branch. The bignum branch requires libgmp functionality, and arranges for a substitute in Emacs itself if libgmp isn't supplied by the system. Similarly, Emacs requires C and math functionality, and arranges for substitutes in Emacs itself if some of the required functions do not exist in the current platform's libraries.

Some GNU/Linux distributions don't even fully support static linking
any more, for security reasons.

Really?  But we do link to Gnulib statically, so it sounds like the
platforms we care about do still support static linking, and probably
will for the observable future, right?

These platforms allow you to build and use your own .a files, since that's basically the same as building and using your own .o files. But they don't supply .a files for standard libraries, so they won't let you statically link to their libgmp. That is what I meant by "not fully support". Static linking is generally discouraged on these platforms, and we shouldn't try to fight that.