Re: bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:46:45 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 08:43:38 +0100
>
> Building the GMP library builds *different* gmp.h headers when building
> for static library vs. a shared library.
>
> The only difference in the headers preduced by the static libary and
> shared libary builds is the hunk shown above. The shared library version
> (the second hunk above) ensures that APIs get a __dllimport__
> decoration for APIs on Windows, for linking to the shared library.
>
> The MSYS2 GMP package includes a single gmp.h header for the static
> library build, installed as "c:/msys64/mingw64/include/gmp.h".

Yes, I know.  I would like to try to use the gmp.h header without
changes, if possible, since that makes it easier for others to build
Emacs.

> Emacs currently links against the shared library on MSYS2 64bit, and has
> a dependency on "c:/msys64/mingw64/bin/libgmp-10.dll".

You mean, on the bignum branch or on master/emacs-26?  If the latter,
is the dependency on libgmp recorded in the binary, or do you see it
in a running session?  In either case, is the dependency direct in
Emacs or indirect via some other library, and if so, which library
causes the dependency?

> Using the gmp.h header without __dllimport__ API decorations probably
> results in incorrect runtime linking to the DLL.

That's what I don't understand, yet.