Re: Face issue -- possible bug

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Face issue -- possible bug
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 23:23:08 +0200

On Tue, Jul 17 2018, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Note how the first glyph of the composition data with the "bad" font has zero as its 3rd component, whereas the "good" font has 110 there,
which is the codepoint of 'n'.  Having zero there is not really
normal, I think.

I downloaded the Libertine O font and tried that on MS-Windows. I don't see this problem there with that font. So based on that, and on the fact that another font displays this combination correctly on your system, my primary suspect is neither Emacs nor the font, but the shaping engine we use to compose characters. On GNU/Linux we use libm17n-flt as the shaping engine, so the first step is to make sure you have its latest version installed. I think the latest version is only available in the CVS repository, which you can access through
Savannah:

   http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/m17n/

If installing the latest version doesn't help, it might be a bug in libm17n-flt, so I'm CC'ing Handa-san who might be able to help fix
this.

I'm actually having trouble accessing the sources. The invocation

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/m17n co m17n

as described at <http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=m17n>

just gives me an empty CVS repository. Substituting `m17n-lib' for `m17n' does seem to checkout the sources, but the newest source files there are from 2014. (Which is why I said "seem to check out the sources", but I have no experience with CVS, so I may be doing something silly.)

According to <https://www.nongnu.org/m17n/>, that would correspond to version 1.17, released in 2014, which also happens to be the version installed on my Linux system (which is based on Ubuntu 16.04). That www page also lists a version 1.18, from February of this year. I can try and install that, if you think it makes sense.

(Actually, the package installed on my system is called libm17n, not libm17n-flt, not sure if that matters.)

TIA

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments