Face issue -- possible bug

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Face issue -- possible bug
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 22:49:18 +0200

Hi all,

I'm running into an issue with a particular font. I'm not sure if this is a problem with Emacs or with the font, so before reporting an actual bug, I thought I'd ask here first.

The font I'm having trouble with is Linux Libertine O, which is a variable-width font, so it only shows when `variable-pitch-mode` is enabled.

The issue occurs with several diacritics of the International Phonetic Alphabet[1], which are combining characters. One character causing the issue is ĚŠ COMBINING VERTICAL LINE BELOW 0x0329. When this character is combined with e.g., n, the result is displayed as a (small) capital n with the diacritic, not as an lower case n.

The screen show below shows the problem (it's the final letter in the word):

PNG image

This screen shot was taken with `emacs -Q` and executing `(set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :height 1.4 :family "Linux Libertine O")` at an `IELM` prompt and `M-x variable-pitch-mode` in the buffer. To see what the word *should* look like, consider this screen shot:

PNG image

This is also `emacs -Q`, with `(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :foundry "unknown" :family "DejaVu Sans Mono")` and `variable-pitch-mode` disabled.

The fact that Emacs displays the word correctly with DejaVu Sans Mono seems to suggest that it's not an Emacs problem but rather a font problem, but note that the same diacritic with the same font displays correctly in a pdf:

PNG image

(That's a screen shot of the pdf resulting from the LaTeX file in the first two screen shots, created with xelatex).

So should this be reported as an Emacs bug, or should I contact the font creator?

TIA

Joost

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet>

--