Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:48:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Maybe another take on it is to use a "hidden" ChangeLog file, saved
>>> somewhere in ~/.emacs.d, indexed by the project location and with some
>>> way to recover some earlier commit message you worked on and had
>>> to abandon?
>> Like a more persistent and/or VCS-agnostic "${GIT_DIR}/COMMIT_EDITMSG"?
>
> I think so, yes (and one which allows several messages to be kept).

This sounds very much like a file :-)

I just put messages in ChangeLog with C-x 4 a , vc-dir automatically
pulls those into the commit message, and then any subsequent amending
I do via magit's commit interface.

It would be nice if the 'C' command in magit worked better, I donʼt
think it has a 'apply to all diffs' mode.

Robert