Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:36:56 -0400

> I wish there was a way to make these buffers without buffer-file-name and
> still have vc collect the entries from them.  Also, after committing, the
> entries would actually be removed.

How 'bout making C-x 4 a add entries directly to the *vc-log* buffer
when there's one and there's no ChangeLog?

I had played with such a hack at some point but never finished it
because it turned out I like saving it into a file (lets you write the
comment calmly, with no inconvenience if you have to temporarily switch
to some other commit elsewhere, or have to restart Emacs or something).

Maybe another take on it is to use a "hidden" ChangeLog file, saved
somewhere in ~/.emacs.d, indexed by the project location and with some
way to recover some earlier commit message you worked on and had
to abandon?

        Stefan