Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:01:12 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I just put messages in ChangeLog with C-x 4 a , vc-dir automatically
>> pulls those into the commit message, and then any subsequent amending
>> I do via magit's commit interface.
>
> I do the same, but if you think about it, this intermediate step of
> putting things in a new file with a funny name (and which you then need
> to tell your VCS to ignore) is rather quaint.
>
> It only seems "natural" if you've used ChangeLog files before.

I never said it was natural, Iʼm just used to it. If there was a way
to do hunk-by-hunk commit message accumulation from magit's diffs,
then I think Iʼd prefer that, since it would allow me to skip the
'visit the file/hunk from the diff, C-x 4 a' portion of generating a
commit message, and would allow me to avoid vc-dir completely. Or a
magit command I could point at just my staged files to generate the
ChangeLog entries. (isnʼt this vc-chlog? Iʼve not tried it yet)

Regards

Robert