Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 21:53:28 -0800

> - In the case of JW, why does he have so many packages installed to slow
>   down his startup, yet he doesn't want them activated?  Are these
>   packages that he does use, but just rarely?  Or does he just have lots of
>   packages installed that he doesn't use (e.g. that's my case: I always
>   have all GNU ELPA packages installed, even though I use very few of
>   them)?  If so, why does he have so many packages installed even tho he
>   doesn't use them?

JW does not use package.el. Instead he uses git-subtree to manage the
packages and use-package to autoload them. The point I was trying to
demonstrate by bringing this up was that package activation is not
cheap.

> Still, what kind of slowdown is JW talking about: is it also in the
> order of 1s?

I quote:

  Especially when working on modes with complex state, I frequently
  restart Emacs, sometimes hundreds of times a day. Before use-package,
  my load times were upwards of 10-20 seconds. Today, even with >300
  declarations, it's down to 0.44 seconds, without any loss of
  functionality.

-- Radon