Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window;

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window; add select-frame-window
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:15:26 -0500

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Robert Weiner <address@hidden> wrote:

So my thought is that where interactive user input goes is broader than input focus,
is connected to what window is selected, and should be explained in one place in
a succinct manner that is easily findable when looking up windows or frames.

​I would also argue that although I agree that selecting windows, selecting frames and
setting user input to a frame are all different concepts, they are lower-level concepts
from which higher-level user-centered behaviors are built.  The user model is much closer
to "I select a thing that I see and any further inputs go there".  In fact, with many
window managers this is true, as a click in a window will select the frame, the window
and set input focus there.  So there is no reason to avoid offering the Elisp programmer
a similar model that documents these concepts in combination and brings the programming
model closer to the user model.  For those times where finer-grained control is necessary,
the individual behavior primitives are always available.

Bob