Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window;

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window; add select-frame-window
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:27:56 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:42 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does anyone else see a need for something like this or am I the only one
> that finds there are too many gotchas
> and complexities in dealing with combinations of these issues right now?

I think we're generally better off embracing the idea that it's not
Emacs's job to decide how to handle focus and window stacking.
​​

​​

​​
Because the problems with focus and such don't all have to do with
​​
technicalities of how the APIs work, but also with interaction about the
​​
specific focus policy that the user may have chosen in his
​​
window-manager (as well as with the frame/window management policies he
​​
has setup in his display-buffer-alist).

​It is good that advanced users like yourself can customize handling of
frame positioning, stacking and input focus but most users will simply
use the policy of their native window manager, so that is the first
scenario that we should seek to improve, if any.

Given that Emacs offers raise-frame, lower-frame and select-frame-set-input-focus
to programmers, we have to acknowledge that these will be used in specific
scenarios to provide a best effort result in affecting frame stacking and
input focus redirection.

Bob