Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window;

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window; add select-frame-window
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 22:09:54 +0200

> From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:01:03 -0500
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, martin rudalics <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> ​I did with this suggested addition to select-window's doc string:
>
> "Although this selects the window's frame, it does not alter the
> frame's position in the window stack (see `raise-frame') nor does
> it direct input focus to that frame.  To do both of those at once,
> see `select-frame-set-input-focus'.

Sorry, I don't see how input focus or frame position in z-order are
related to selecting a window.  Input focus is per-frame, not
per-window.  Someone who looks for information about focus or z-order
will look for frame-related stuff, not window-related stuff.

I could perhaps agree to a note in the manual where select-window is
described, but even there this information looks too far-fetched and
out of its natural place.

Maybe you could explain how you arrived at considering input focus and
z-order while using select-window.  Perhaps that would help me
understand the connection, because right now I see none.

Thanks.