Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:57:09 -0500

>> I don't have a strong opinion on this.  The issue is the following:
>> cl-struct-define is "used internally by cl-defstruct", but it can't
>> be changed at will, because it will basically have to be preserved
>> for as long as Emacs-NN.MM wants to be able to run .elc files
>> generated with Emacs-24.5.
> At the rate things have been changing in the byte-compiler, that
> won't be long. ;-)

Have you had trouble running Emacs-22's .elc files recently?

This said, I'd indeed like to move to an execution model where the .elc
files are "not sufficient" so we can (and do) always fallback on the .el
file in case the .elc is "too old" (or "too new").  This would probably
go along with a move towards an execution model where we automatically
compile .el files.

>   To me, `cl' is so obviously an abbreviation for Common Lisp that
>   I would automatically expect any function (macro, etc.) prefixed
>   with `cl-' to be a Common-Lisp emulation function. The fact that
>   some of them aren't is quite confusing and makes me wonder by what
>   criterion a function or macro is included in (or excluded from)
>   cl-lib.

In theory the criterion is something along the lies of "either it's
part of CommonLisp, or its implementation makes it belong to cl-lib".
But usually the real criterion is simple: the one who writes and installs
the patch gets to decide.
[ So for example Drew typically doesn't get to decide.  ]

        Stefan