Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:05:02 -0500

> `cl-callf'
> `cl-callf2'

Don't have an opinion on those two.  They might fit in gv.el.

> `cl-iter-defun'

This one could indeed move to generator.el, tho it currently uses the
internal cl--transform-lambda, so the implementation would need to be
rewoked to avoid having an external package depend on CL's internals.

> `cl-flet*'

This belongs right next to cl-flet, so moving it out of cl-lib would
make no sense.

> `cl-letf*'

This belongs right next to cl-letf.

> `cl-prettyprint'   (called a "debugging aid")
> `cl-prettyexpand'  (called a "debugging aid")
> `cl-describe-type'

These are intimately linked to cl-lib's implementation, AFAIK.

> Moving to `cl-preloaded.el':
> `cl-struct-define'

Same here.  IOW they belong to cl-lib not because they're part of
Common-Lisp, but because they belong to cl-lib's implementation.

> And it seems that there are internal functions and macros,
> which are used only for implementing CL things, which use
> prefix `cl-' instead of `cl--'.  For example, `cl-struct-define'.
> Should they not be renamed?

I don't have a strong opinion on this.  The issue is the following:
cl-struct-define is "used internally by cl-defstruct", but it can't be
changed at will, because it will basically have to be preserved for as
long as Emacs-NN.MM wants to be able to run .elc files generated with
Emacs-24.5.

Those "functions only used in a macro's expansion" have a half-way
"internal" status in this respect, and we sometimes give them
a "prefix-" and sometimes a "prefix--".

        Stefan