Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 20:53:39 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 09/04/2015 11:07 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> whether the
>> display/font/whatever warrants specific marking for third-party texts
>
> This is not strictly a third-party issue.  For example, the Emacs
> manual is not a third-party text, and it uses curved quotes.

Its use of curved quotes is outside of the interactive Emacs' control,
so for the purpose of display-related options, it is a third-party text.
Some people might want to have an Info-specific setting of such a
display option, but an Emacs-specific setting does not make any sense.

> True, we could develop a more-complicated mechanism, presumably with
> more variables to control the added complexity -- for example, we
> could implement three separate variables to control quotes in
> diagnostics vs quotes in help buffers vs quotes in info files -- but
> there are advantages to keeping things simple when user need for the
> extra complexity has not been demonstrated.

Conversion of Emacs' _output_ and _display_ manipulations are entirely
separate operations.  It does not make sense to conflate them by
stipulating a set of permissible motives for either desire.

--
David Kastrup