Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 16:23:49 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 07:51:24AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > isn't startup done before processing .emacs?

> Yes, but (after my recent change) Emacs also looks at text-quoting-style
> after
> processing .emacs, and adjusts the display style accordingly.

> > I don't yet have `text-quoting-style' in my .emacs

> Please try adding (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) there.

It works.

> > I've not seen any shadowed quotes on my screen no matter
> > what I've done.

> Please try loading the attached file; after it, every occurrence of X, Y and
> on your screen should appear in different faces that are readily legible.  If
> faces aren't working for you, we need to investigate why.

> (progn
>   (unless standard-display-table
>     (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
>   (aset standard-display-table ?X
>       (vector (make-glyph-code ?X 'shadow)))
>   (aset standard-display-table ?Y
>       (vector (make-glyph-code ?Y 'underline)))
>   (aset standard-display-table ?Z
>       (vector (make-glyph-code ?Z 'escape-glyph))))

These "work", yes.  They cause the letters' foreground colours to be set
to something constant.  They are sometimes readily legible, sometimes
not, depending on what other use of colour (e.g. font-lock, hi-lock) is
being made at the same time.

I'd prefer to stick to the `text-quoting-style', I don't think the use
of these faces is going to be helpful, on balance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).