Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 11:35:10 -0700

On 09/04/2015 11:07 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
whether the
display/font/whatever warrants specific marking for third-party texts

This is not strictly a third-party issue. For example, the Emacs manual is not a third-party text, and it uses curved quotes. True, we could develop a more-complicated mechanism, presumably with more variables to control the added complexity -- for example, we could implement three separate variables to control quotes in diagnostics vs quotes in help buffers vs quotes in info files -- but there are advantages to keeping things simple when user need for the extra complexity has not been demonstrated.