RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:08:13 -0700 (PDT)

>   > â—„foobarâ–º    BLACK (LEFT|RIGHT)-POINTING POINTER
>
> These quotes display identically on my console, as
> diamonds, and the input methods I use do not support them.

Precisely.  That's why the suggestion to use them was rhetorical.

Just like curly quotes, which we have now apparently moved to,
alas, these chars are hard to input, search, use with other
programs, etc., as several people have pointed out clearly.

The point wrt these pointy chars was that (a) they suffer all
of the drawbacks of curly quotes, but (b) they at least are not
quote marks and are thus not confusable with text quotations.
Setting off inline code fragments is not quotation.

Because of (a), I do not suggest using such marks.

The argument here is that IF we were to pay the price of
opting for some Unicode chars to wrap inline code phrases etc.
THEN we should at least choose other Unicode chars that are
not quote chars.

We apparently have already chosen curly quotes, unfortunately.
That is the worst of the various possibilities, IMO.  Even
rare, crazy-pointy thingies are a better choice.  That's the
argument here.  If we shouldn't use these thingies - for the
reasons you gave and similar, then a fortiori we should not
use curly quotes either.