Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:23:22 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 07:57:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
>
> But I'm not sure that what you say is true of "any other pairs",
> where pair is regarded as two chars that we might consider using
> as code/key phrase bookends.
>
> I'm thinking of the pair ` and ', for instance.  Not exact mirror
> images by any means, but workable.

No, they aren't.  Here's how this will look in a right-to-left
paragraph:

`אבג'

(If this doesn't show in your mailer flushed all the way to the right
edge of the window, save this as a text file and visit that file in
Emacs.)

> The point is that there might well be such pairs that are not
> problematic for Bidi

I don't think so.  For them to not be problematic, they need to be
"mirrored" at display time -- and that only happens with characters in
BidiBrackets.txt.

> Anyway, I'm not looking for a different pair from `...'.  If
> someone finds one that satisfies the criteria, I'm open to it, of
> course.

Any pair in BidiBrackets.txt will do.  The question is: do we want to
use any of them?  I don't have an answer to that.