Re: git commit/push and VC

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:23:55 +0100

> You are missing the point.  Switching the branch is easy, but after
> that, you'd almost always need a full bootstrap, which might become
> annoying.

A bootstrap takes more than half an hour on my machines.  Having touched
one C header file means that rebuilding takes almost 10 minutes here.
Calling that "annoying" would be an understatement.  Having multiple
clones is an essential prerequsite here.

> I personally am working on both branches in parallel, yes.  Many
> others do, too.  Bugfixes go to one branch, new features to the other,
> people report bugs on this or other, etc.  Bootstrapping each time,
> which takes a couple of minutes, is annoying.  And then you sometimes
> want to compare what the two binaries, one from master, the other from
> the release branch, do in the same situation.

This is my workflow as well.  Which doesn't exclude that git's branching
concept might be useful even here.  Sometimes, at least.

> But that's me, and I already know how to solve this.  I'm asking what,
> if anything, do we want to recommend.

Among others, the switch to MSYS has made building on Windows slow down
by a factor of two here (at least that's the impression I get).  And I
never gave bisecting a thought on my machine even before that change.
In addition, recent changes to C mode has made editing C files slower by
a factor of two here.  So I'm hardly going to tolerate further slowdowns
caused by switching branches.

Mine might be an exotic case and the only useful recommendation for me
is probably to get myself a new machine.  Nevertheless I doubt that all
Emacs users have suitable hardware that makes switching between master
and Emacs-24 a feasible operation in one and the same clone.

martin