Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 08:50:37 +0000

 >> Not necessarily, – you can just as well add the Git (or, rather,
 >> .git/objects) directory of your “other” clone to your current’s
 >> .git/objects/info/alternates, which will make the other clone’s
 >> commits available for any operation

 > You should never do that to link to repositories that are used for
 > development.  The originating repository doesn't know that others
 > have borrowed objects, and a garbage collection can remove them under
 > their feet.

        Personally, I do not use garbage collection at all.  Instead,
        after I’m finished with the clone, and make sure all its worthy
        commits made it into a separate (--bare) repository, I’d remove
        one in its entirety.

        Sure, I’d unlink it from alternates first, and check if my other
        clones are still valid after that, before the actual removal.

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. Conclusion — Apocalyptica    … B6A0 230E 334A