Re: git commit/push and VC

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:24:56 +0100

> Are you using "make -jN"?  If not, I highly recommend trying that.  On
> a Core i7 system, "make -j6" (if you have XP) or "make -j8" (Windows 7
> and later) can work wonders on your build time.

I can try that next time.  But my last bootstrap before the git switch
was a couple of months ago, so I doubt it would matter much.

>> Having touched one C header file means that rebuilding takes almost
>> 10 minutes here.
>
> That's strange: compiling C sources is very fast, most of the
> bootstrap time is spent compiling Lisp.

Compiling Lisp files has never been an annoyance to me.  It's my
impression that I spend most of the time entering and leaving
directories, loading files, updating subdirectories, generating
autoloads, checking whether files have changed.  And configuring, if
necessary.

> What kind of CPU do you have
> there?

Windows XP here runs on a 1.80GHz Pentium Dual CPU.

> Of course, it's useful: for branches that don't diverge too much from
> the branch you fork off, like feature branches, for example.

I yet have to find out whether that's the case here.

>> Among others, the switch to MSYS has made building on Windows slow down
>> by a factor of two here (at least that's the impression I get).
>
> If "make -jN" is not speedy enough, consider replacing your work disk
> with an SSD.  The build will fly.

;-)

martin