Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:12:14 +0200

Bastien writes:
> I still don't know what used to work for you and what does not
> work anymore.

When the variable org-odt-datadir was set, no heuristics were used to
find the style and schema files.  This variable was set by the build
system and thus tracked the installation (or rather many of them, since
I have multiple installations that I need to keep seperate).  For this
very reason it was also the right thing to use a defconst rather than a
defvar.

The heuristics you've put in place now don't work if the user wants to
install schema files (which are not delivered with Emacs), but the Emacs
installation is not writeable by the user.  This used to work simply by
configuring that variable in the init file.

> Please let me know how we can fix things for you.

Don't delete configuration variables that belong to the user; or rather,
bring them back in this case.

> Among the things that I'm not aware of (there are plenty of them!)
> there are those that I can't guess until I'm told :)

Let's not go there.  But please ask if you intend to remove user
configuration because the world is a bit larger than just your laptop
computer.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: