Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:46:25 +0200

Glenn Morris writes:
> I wouldn't bother. A warning sometimes just means "this code use can be
> problematic, maybe you want to check it", not "this code use is
> definitely wrong, you should change it".

Well, I couldn't help bothering… :-)

The let-binding that triggers the message is actually established in
autoloads.el in generate-file-autoloads, which then goes on to call
autoload-generate-file-autoloads, which actually expects a buffer local
variable.  Apparently the let-binding "wins" in that situation and the
buffer-local variable is ignored, which is probably why the warning is
printed (even though the two values are the same)?

I can fix this by calling autoload-generate-file-autoloads directly,
setting the default value for generated-autoload-file instead of doing a
let-bind.  This works without printing any warnings, but fails when any
of the files tries to set a buffer-local variable with a different value
for generated-autoload-file: the file is produced, but does not collect
any autoload definitions.  It actually blows up in that case unless I
provide a let-bind for autoload-modified-buffers (like in
update-directory-autoloads, where I gleaned this from and which also
let-binds generated-autoload-file and thus produces the same warning).

Regards,
Achim.