Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r110286: Sync Org 7.9.2 from the commit tagged "release_7.9.2" in Org's Git repo.
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:48:40 +0200

Bastien writes:
> This is how the previous situation looked like:
>
> 1. even when org-odt.el was not loaded, users had a org-odt-data-dir
>    variable pointing to "/usr/share/emacs/etc/org", and this was set in
>    org-version.el, created by make or included in Emacs or Org.

Emacs didn't have that before the merge and was relying on heuristics.
I did say that it can very well continue to do so since the layout of
files within the Emacs installation conforms to the expectation of the
heuristics.

>    org-odt-data-dir was not an option, just an internal variable,
>    accessible directly as a defvar or through the make system with
>    "datadir".

This variable was set be the build system and the user had precise
control over where to point it.  More importantly, the build system made
sure that the files actually were accessible at that place after
installation.

Now, this is not a discussion for Emacs because it uses a different
build system, but for sake of completeness: if a user configures a
non-standard place for those files right now, they will be happily
installed there, but Emacs won't find them because you've removed the
connection between the installation and those files through Emacs.
You've also deleted a variable that make uses to install those files
from the default template, so those files will now be installed entirely
in the wrong place when the stock defaults are used.

> The two defcustoms above are what the users are exposed to:
> org-export-odt-schema-dir org-export-odt-styles-file are untouched.

But you've removed the default value for the installation.  I've not
customized these variables because I have many installations, all
pointing to different files.  Since the actual values used by Emacs were
relying on the default value that was working until you've removed the
default haphazardly.

> But I got rid of the -dir-list steps, which let me get rid of the
> org-odt-data-dir org-odt-data-lib variables, which I found confusing.

Yes, you didn't understand why they were there.  Maybe this can be
implemented in a different way.  But there was nothing broken in this
area before your change, but it is broken just now.

>> Don't delete configuration variables that belong to the user; or rather,
>> bring them back in this case.
>
> I deleted no defcustom.  Did I?

You've deleted a configuration variable for the build system that was
used to describe how the user wanted to set his system up.  You didn't
actually care to check that everything else is still working.  Don't try
to distract from that fact by pointing at some other configuration
option that has nothing to do with that.

> Please let's go there: let me know wwat you could do wrt to ODT
> exporting that you cannot anymore with latest Org.  A concrete example.
> If I broke something, I'll happily fix it.

If you really must know what's broken, please do a fresh clone of Org
and then issue (as root)

make clean-install

It is sheer luck that on most systems this will not remove vital files.

Regards,
Achim.