Re: Compiled files without sources????

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Compiled files without sources????
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:56:40 -0400

    > If you write a script that does the editing, that will fill the gap.
    > The grammar file, plus the script, will add up to the source code to
    > produce the needed generated file.  Can you please add that to the
    > repository and the release tarballs?

    A "script" is just a diff of the old and new source files, which anybody
    can trivially do.

A script might include that diff, plus a command to run patch on the
file.  Since you say it is trivial, please do it.

However, a better script would be more flexible.  It would search for
certain things, delete them from where they are, and insert them in
the right place.  Etc.  That way, it would work right even if the
source files are edited to some extent.

That won't be quite trivial, but it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Making our releases follow the GPL is the wrong place to cut corners.
Please don't argue that 99% is enough.  We need to do this 100%,
and that is what we will do -- one way or another.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation