Mergeability of xwidget patch?

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Mergeability of xwidget patch?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:01:32 -0400

I'm the developer of Ezbl [1], a package which embeds the Uzbl web
browser within Emacs. Ezbl depends on the xwidget patch by Joakim
Verona, which is in the Emacs repo under the "xwidget" branch. I'd like
to have Ezbl be available to people without them having to install a
separate branch of Emacs (especially since it hasn't kept up with the
trunk).

I would like to know how close the xwidget patches are to being fit for
the 24.1 trunk and what still needs to be done. I'm not much of a C
programmer, and don't know the C-level internals of Emacs well, but I'm
willing to learn for the sake of getting this patch completed and merged
in. I think it would be a great feature to have in 24.1, but I heard the
feature freeze was coming soon-ish, so I understand if it has to be
pushed back.

I'd love to have Ezbl available to those using the trunk and especially
folks who use stable releases. I think it could be a powerful addition
to the Emacs ecosystem by adding HTML5 support (through WebKit) into the
mix. It's also possible to communicate with the embedded Uzbl instance
through JavaScript, so there's a lot of potential there.

Thanks,

Daniel Hackney

P.S. I'm not on the mailing list, so if you could CC me on replies,
it'll be easier for me to communicate. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[1] https://github.com/haxney/ezbl

--
Daniel M. Hackney