Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:18:00 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm the developer of Ezbl [1], a package which embeds the Uzbl web
>> browser within Emacs. Ezbl depends on the xwidget patch by Joakim
>> Verona, which is in the Emacs repo under the "xwidget" branch. I'd like
>> to have Ezbl be available to people without them having to install a
>> separate branch of Emacs (especially since it hasn't kept up with the
>> trunk).
>
> I think both xwidget and ezbl are indeed a very interesting projects.
> I do not know enough about the xwidget branch to tell you how close/far
> it is to merging.  But unless it's "right about ready" (which doesn't
> sounds likely) it seems too late for 24.1 which will enter feature
> freeze real-soon-now.
> Depending on details of the xwidget code (if it is sufficiently
> modular), it might make it into 24.2, but otherwise it'd have to wait
> for 25.1.
> If the code isnot modular enough, maybe we could install some
> refactoring right now, so that the remaining patch is sufficiently
> modular for 24.2.

xwidgets walk all over the display code. OTOH its pretty modular in the
sense that if you dont insert xwidgets the new painting code isn't
touched. So, 24.2 doesn't seem unreasonable, but I think the project
needs more hands if its going to move forward.

I can offer to keep the branch more alive but I probably need someone
with a large stick to keep me going :)

--
Joakim Verona