Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:09:29 -0400

<address@hidden> wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Depending on details of the xwidget code (if it is sufficiently
>> modular), it might make it into 24.2, but otherwise it'd have to wait
>> for 25.1.
>> If the code isnot modular enough, maybe we could install some
>> refactoring right now, so that the remaining patch is sufficiently
>> modular for 24.2.
>
> xwidgets walk all over the display code. OTOH its pretty modular in
> the sense that if you dont insert xwidgets the new painting code isn't
> touched. So, 24.2 doesn't seem unreasonable, but I think the project
> needs more hands if its going to move forward.
>
> I can offer to keep the branch more alive but I probably need someone
> with a large stick to keep me going :)

I'm certainly willing to wield the large stick and be the taskmaster,
though I'd also like to help out some too.

This may be better discussed off-list, but where do you think I should
start? Any particular resources you'd suggest for getting up to speed on
the relevant parts of the Emacs display code or Xlib (or XCB)?

Also, I had an idea for keyboard propagation. It's ugly, but much better
than the way I'd been testing in Ezbl (forking an Xdotool [1] instance
on each keypress): using libxdo [2] to forward keypresses to the
embedded process.

Anyway, I'm happy to help, even if it's just whipping you into shape ;).
Ultimately, I'd like to be able to take one more application off of my
current commonly-used list (which right now is Emacs, gnome-terminal,
and Firefox).

[1] http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

[2] http://www.semicomplete.com/files/xdotool/docs/html/

--