Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103854: Reimplementlist-processe

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103854: Reimplementlist-processes in Lisp.
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:59:25 -0400

>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8368
>
> Thanks, I had forgotten that report.
>
> I basically agree with the first part, i.e., that it's a mistake to
> assume any relationship between temporary and help.

Now that we have with-help-window (added by Martin Rudalics in 2007), it
makes sense to put help-mode-setup and help-mode-finish there, rather
than applying them to all with-output-to-temp-buffer calls.

Some uses of temp_output_buffer_setup in the C code may need to be fixed
to call help-mode-* explicitly, but that should be easy.

As for temp-buffer-setup-hook itself, maybe we should deprecate it.
(The name is confusing, since with-temp-buffer does not run it when
setting up the buffer.)  AFAICT, anything you put in the hook can be
accomplished equivalently using the with-output-to-temp-buffer body (one
difference is that the hook is run before rebinding standard-output, but
probably no one needs this).  So, with help-mode-setup moved out into
with-help-window, we can dispense with this hook.

As for list-* commands not obeying temp-buffer-resize-mode, how about
adding a display-buffer-hook, renaming temp-buffer-resize-mode to
display-buffer-resize-mode (and moving it from help.el to window.el),
and making that mode act on all uses of display-buffer-hook?  Then we
can probably either deprecate temp-buffer-show-hook or make it an alias
for display-buffer-hook.