Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103854: Reimplementlist-processe

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r103854: Reimplementlist-processes in Lisp.
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 09:25:42 +0200

> As for list-* commands not obeying temp-buffer-resize-mode, how about
> adding a display-buffer-hook, renaming temp-buffer-resize-mode to
> display-buffer-resize-mode (and moving it from help.el to window.el),
> and making that mode act on all uses of display-buffer-hook?  Then we
> can probably either deprecate temp-buffer-show-hook or make it an alias
> for display-buffer-hook.

`temp-buffer-resize-mode' is a misnomer since it applies only to the
initial display of the buffer.  When the corresponding window is resized
or text is rescaled it usually misses to make the "window the right
height for its contents".  So we should either call this something like
`display-buffer-fit-window-to-buffer' or devise a function hooking into
window configuration changes and text rescaling to make a mode that
really does what it advertises.  Which also means that the associated
windows should be fixed size most of the time.

martin