Re: Bad choice of license in BzrForEmacsDevs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bad choice of license in BzrForEmacsDevs
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:52:09 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> In addition, I wonder about the other pages in that wiki have a
>> similar license.  Are there programs in the wiki which are licensed
>> this way, allowing GPLv2 and not GPLv3?
>
>> That would be a bad problem.  Can someone tell me if there are any?
>
> There might be some, but if they rely on Emacs-23 features, such a
> license would be illegal, AFAIK.

Not really.  It would just be impractical since distributing this as
part of an Emacs 23 distribution would not be feasible.  You can of
course offer any code you wrote yourself under any license you feel fit.
The problem is that the distribution is then effectively not even under
GPLv2 since meeting the _GPLv2_ terms is not reliably possible for
_redistributors_ unless they don't distribute Emacs.

--
David Kastrup