Re: Release plans

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:45:33 +0900

A Soare <address@hidden> writes:
> I have never known in all my life a person using windows that thought
> to use emacs. All persons that I knew and wanted to (learn lisp)/(use
> emacs) used linux or MAC OSX.

They do of course exist though.  The two classes that seem to be common
are:

  1) People that got used to emacs in another OS (in my experience
     usually old unix systems, e.g. sunos/solaris), and continue to use
     it in windows.  I suppose this number is dwindling.

  2) People that are influenced in some way by an emacs user.  E.g.,
     windows-using spouse/friend/... of emacs user.

Whether having these people use emacs windows advances the cause of free
software I dunno, but I suspect it does in the long run -- my
observation is that emacs, as a somewhat singular program, seems to keep
them aware of this "other" culture (the free software culture) when
otherwise they might simply not be.

Sadly, many people are not going to move away from windows quickly, but
I think it is useful to keep channels of communication open.

-Miles

--
Love, n. A temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient
from the influences under which he incurred the disorder. This disease is