Re: Release plans

From: A Soare
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:11:09 +0200 (CEST)

> A Soare wrote:
> >>     Windows hardly matters anymore.
> >>
> >>     Windows is not growing much in functionality...
> >>
> >> Windows is important as a problem as long as it is non-free and
> >> considerable numbers of people keep using it.  It is clear that when
> >> you say it "hardly matters" you are thinking of some other criterion.
> >
> > I have never known in all my life a person using windows that thought to
> > use emacs. All persons that I knew and wanted to (learn lisp)/(use emacs)
> > used linux or MAC OSX.
> >
> > So a considerable number of peuple use Windows, but (almost) never Emacs in
> > Windows.
>

> What is your thoughts about that? Is there something to learn from it?
> Is there something to investigate?

Quite so! Investing energy to develop it under Windows is (almost) loss of
energy!

I know a few cases of _good_ programmers at google, microsoft, etc that never
thought to use emacs.

The reason: Windows has nicer environments to write C++, Delphi, C# etc. (that
is what they told me). I have never used Windows in all my life. I have been
using linux for more that 15 years.

And since I have began to use emacs (2005), I use just emacs all the day. But
at the beginning I did an effort to understand it. That is what peuple does not
like : to make effort to understand something that they can have without energy.

Emacs and Linux is used just by peuple that wants to understand how things work.

Windows is used by peuple that want to gain money and to arrive quiqkly at
their purpose.

>From all my experience (all what I saw), windows interface for emacs is as
>important as the file ./etc/sex.6 in emacs' sources.

Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic !
http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html