Re: Next release

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 10:32:36 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> On X11, when I start `emacs', the first thing that happens is to open
>> a frame, with the toolbar, and only after that is the .emacs
>> file loaded.
>>
>> So how can Emacs-22 on W32 avoid loading the image libraries before
>> how does it avoid displaying the tool-bar before loading the .emacs?
>>

> I don't know how, but when Emacs starts on Windows, the frame is
> blank. When messages start appearing as .emacs is loaded, the
> mode-line and echo area are drawn, but the rest of the frame,
> including toolbar, is only drawn after .emacs has been loaded.
>
> I don't think this is done especially for the toolbar images, Emacs
> has always started like this on Windows.

It would be worthwhile to start mapping Emacs usually only after .emacs
has been processed and/or the command line processed.  That way you can
select fonts, geometry, toolbar or not and so on in .emacs and have
emacs start right away without resizing or flicker.  Or you can even use
a special .emacs file (now that we have multitty) that does not even
open a frame but waits for Emacsclient invocations.  It would not just
be useful on X.

--
David Kastrup