Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 03:38:16 +0000

On 04/02/2008, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> That didn't  matter
> before (because nothing was trying to propagate out the active region
> when the point moved), with select-active-regions the order of
> move-point/deactivate-mark vs. deactivate-mark/move-point during
> mouse-set-point is significant.
>
> Guess should next trace exactly where in the call stack the region
> deactivation is occurring in unpatched emacs.

Right. This happens (unconditionally as far as I can see) in
mouse-drag-track, which happens on mouse down.  Moving the
deactivate-mark to happen before the initial point move (which
mouse-drag-track does with mouse-set-point...) rather than after fixes
the select-active-regions behaviour, and I doubt it matters much
otherwise?

[and avoids damaging mouse-set-point's behaviour for those who like to
unbind dragging from the mouse and use different buttons to set the
mark and point, say...]