Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:02:47 +0000

On 03/02/2008, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> On 03/02/2008, Jan D. wrote:
> > Are you saying that one can't set mark, move the point with the mouse
> > and then do stuff like M-w, C-x C-x anymore?  If so, I think that is
> > totally unacceptable, it makes mouse-set-point almost unusable.
> >

> Well,  agreed:

Or not...

> It "only" causes a problem with mixed keyboard/mouse-1 i.e.
> (d) hit keyboard C-SPC to set mark and then use mouse-1-click
> (mouse-set-point) with the expectation of defining an active region.
>
> Uh. Did (d) work before?  It probably did, I just don't have an
> unmutilated emacs to hand to check.

No, it didn't work that way without the patch: when you
mouse-set-point (mouse-1-click) in CVS emacs, the region deactivates
anyway, which _is_ normal behaviour in X11 applications come to think
of it (mouse-1-drag highlight some text in firefox, mouse-1-click
somewhere else...).   The insertion of deactivate-mark into
mouse-set-point makes the region deactivate immediately before the
point move rather than immediately afterward.  That didn't  matter
before (because nothing was trying to propagate out the active region
when the point moved), with select-active-regions the order of
move-point/deactivate-mark vs. deactivate-mark/move-point during
mouse-set-point is significant.

Guess should next trace exactly where in the call stack the region
deactivation is occurring in unpatched emacs.