Re: mailcap viewers in dired; gnus-dired.el, mailcap.el (was: Please ins

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mailcap viewers in dired; gnus-dired.el, mailcap.el (was: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:47:15 +0300

>> There is already a file lisp/gnus/gnus-dired.el that binds `C-c C-m C-l'
>> in Dired to the command that runs the program found in the mailcap file.
>
> The current versions of `mailcap.el' and `gnus-dired.el' have some
> dependencies on Gnus.  I'm working on reducing these dependencies so
> that it should possible to use them in other parts of Emacs without

Thanks.  Do you see any problems with this?

> (probably `gnus-dired.el' should be renamed, e.g. to `dired-mime.el').

gnus-dired.el has a function `gnus-dired-attach' that is Gnus-specific.
So I think it would be better to leave gnus-dired.el alone, and implement
new commands in dired.el or dired-aux.el (and maybe take into account
the command guessing behaviour of ! in dired-x.el).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/