Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:31:12 -0400

    Personally I think a solution which doesn't give the focus to another
    application is preferable and thus should be the default.  Gnus cannot
    use doc-view since that depends on GNU Emacs whereas Gnus wants to run
    on all Emacsen.

XEmacs is a modified version of GNU Emacs, so please don't use the
word "GNU" to distinguish one from the other, as if XEmacs had nothing
to do with GNU.

When Gnus runs in Emacs, it should do whatever is best to do in Emacs.
XEmacs concerns should not get in the way.

    1. He proposed to make doc-view the standard viewer for pdf/dvi/ps files
       and add a binding `C-c C-c' which would toggle between the rendered
       image representation and the text representation just like image-mode
       does.  This way `v' in dired would use doc-view by default and `C-c
       C-c' in doc-view-mode would switch to the text representation you get
       when you hit `v' on a doc nowadays.

I said yes to this; maybe he has implemented itby now.

    2. The Gnus mailcap mechanism could be used for the default command for
       `dired-do-shell-command' (bound to `!' in dired).

Maybe so, as long as in Emacs this mechanism is set up to use
docview when appropriate.