Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:03:00 -0400

    DocView and the Gnus mailcap mechanism are unrelated features.

They are related because they do the same job: display non-textual
formats for Emacs.  They work in different ways, but each can still
substitute for the other.  If you have a PDF or PS or DVI file, you
can display it either with doc-view or with the Gnus mailcap
mechanism.

So do we really want both methods?  If so, when should each
method be used?  Or how should the user choose?

The current code chooses the mailcap mechanism when in Gnus,
and now we have a proposal for Dired to use the doc-view mechanism.
But is there any reason to think those are the right choices?
I have tried to start a discussion of this question,
but nobody else has addressed it.