Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:06:19 -0400

    >From a user's point of view, I can say that this apparently-crucial
    distinction between font-lock faces and non-font-lock faces is utterly
    obscure (I'll send a separate msg about that), and it just seems weird
    that (global-font-lock-mode 0) doesn't turn off everything.

I do not want to eliminate the possibility of highlighting under
explicit program control.  For instance, it makes no sense to turn off
the faces in a Custom buffer.

    If this isn't going to happen, then I suggest adding something to the
    Font Lock node saying that it does not affect all faces.

I don't see anything which suggests it does.  Where did you get that
mistaken idea?  If you show me some text which seems to suggest it,
I can clarify that text.