Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:26:25 +0300

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:31:08 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
>
> As I wrote in other msgs, it is quite painful to discover and turn off
> all the face names individually.  (E.g., C-u C-x = isn't usable with
> minibuffer text, mode lines, etc.)

Did you actually try to use "C-u C-x =" in the minibuffer?  It works
for me.

But I agree that discovering the faces is a job best avoided.

> If you feel it's inappropriate for (global-font-lock-mode 0) to turn off
> such things, then how about another feature that turns off all these
> colorizations and such things?  As in, (black-and-white-emacs) ...

I think it makes a lot of sense to have either global-font-lock-mode
turn off all faces (perhaps with minor exceptions, like mode line and
fringe?) or to have another option to do that in one go.

> P.S. I also noticed that the startup screen and *scratch* buffer text are
> colorized, although I was turning off font-lock on the cmd line:
>   emacs-22.1 -q --no-site --eval "(global-font-lock-mode 0)"

Try doing that in one of the hooks defined by startup.el, it could be
that the command-line args are processed too late for them to have any
effect on the initial display.