Re: Image mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:28:39 -0500

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> As it is Postscript. That's part of the reason
> `image-type-auto-detected-p' and `image-type-auto-detectable' were
> introduced.

As I argued, making this behavior applicable to all images is a
mistake.  Clearly, we should treat postscript, xpm, and xbm separately
from jpegs and pngs.

> ...I really, knees-on-the-ground, wholeheartedly BEG we don't do more
> accretion-patching without taking half a dozen steps back to gain some
> perspective.

No drama, please.  If you have a specific suggestion, feel free to
propose it.  My proposal is quite simple, if you actually consider it
instead of complaining about accretion:

- One function in magic-mode-alist autodetects image types that do not
  make sense to edit (jpgs, pngs, etc).  If the result is ambiguous
  (as determined by checking auto-mode-alist), prompt the user about
  whether to use image-mode or the non-image mode specified by
  auto-mode-alist.

- A second function autodetects image types that do make sense to edit
  (ps, xpm, xbm).  If autodetected, set up the editing mode and turn
  on image-minor-mode.

- Otherwise, use auto-mode-alist.