Re: Image mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:28:10 -0500

>> Note that I know of no other application which uses such
>> content-detection to discover whether a file is an image or
>> something else.

> Gimp does it.  Rename a file foo.jpg to foo.c and it will still
> display the image.

Please re-read what I wrote.  GIMP uses the file contents to discover
*which* image it's dealing with, but it's not using it to discover whether
it's an image or not.  It's quite different: I believe there is pretty much
no known overlap between the various image formats used today, so you can
decide which image format it is unambiguously based on the contents.  But in
Emacs if we use content-based detection we have to be ready to deal with an
ambiguity with any other file format, that a whole other ball game.

        Stefan