Re: Image mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:33:33 -0500

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

>> As for rethinking, I have given my plan.  Do you also have a plan (as
>> opposed to a plan to make a plan)?
>
> Yes: to seek an agreement. Perhaps you've missed the point that I
> asked a specific question with eight possible answers, and the
> results, at this moment, are: 4, 7, 9 (which wasn't on the menu, but
> that's cool), and I would surely choose either 1 or 3.

And perhaps you've missed my answer to that: i.e., that trying to open
a file named foo.c, whose contents are jpeg data, should

9) ask the user whether he wants to open as an image or as a C file.

which was not in your list of options.

As far as I can tell, there are only two coherent schemes on the
table: (i) the one I have proposed, which involves making the effects
of image autodetection a little smarter; and (ii) removing image
autodetection through magic-mode-alist, possibly with the addition of
.JPG to auto-mode-alist.  If there is a third scheme that someone has
proposed, which I have missed, please point it out.